The following is an explanation for QUESTION 13 from our Free Wonderlic Practice Test. The strategy listed below is just one of many from our best-selling e-book, The Wonderlic Personnel Test Study Guide, which has helped thousands of people beat their Wonderlic test and land their dream job.
13. The words PERCEIVE and DISCERN have __?__ meanings.
Similar/Contradictory Word Meanings on the Wonderlic
The Wonderlic will give you two words with no context and ask you whether the two words are similar (the same), contradictory (the opposite) or unrelated (the two words mean neither the same nor the opposite). Your job is to simply decide how the two words are related.
Associate the words with a familiar context
In many cases, you might not be able to actually define each word given, but you have heard the words used before. Try to think about a time you heard the word used in the past.
PERCEIVE: I know that I have heard the word PERCEIVE before. A sentence that sounds correct to me or that I remember hearing is "he could not perceive the small item with the naked eye". I assume that PERCEIVE means "to see" - especially in a careful, scrutinizing manner.
DISCERN: I have heard people use the word DISCERN when talking about being able to identify a slight difference in two things. A sentence that would make sense is "I could not discern any difference between the twins".
I now can assume that these words are similar since they both are about being able to see or identify small details.
For more strategies to help you solve these problems, as well as more popular word combinations we have seen on Wonderlic tests, check out our Study Guide.
Is your Wonderlic test coming up soon?
Pass your Wonderlic test, even if you have been out of school for years and your interview is tomorrow.
Enter "Take5onAlex" to get $5 off of our best-selling study guide.
Our printable e-book study guide will improve your score by 10 points or more in less than 3 hours. Here's how:
- We teach you Wonderlic test-taking strategies that you need to know in order tofinish the test on time and maximize your score.
- Our experts reveal Wonderlic secrets and weaknesses you can exploit to make even the hardest questions on the test easy.
- Every topic on the 2016 Wonderlic is reviewed in easy-to-understand, bite-sized lessons so you will know exactly what will be on your exam and can enter your interview with confidence.
- We have packed this e-book with hundreds of Wonderlic practice questions with answer explanations provide you with constant opportunities for practice.
- BONUS: Includes 2 full-length practice tests that are modeled after real Wonderlic tests so they look just like the one you will be taking.
This study guide is immediately available to you after checkout so you can begin studying right away and is perfect for anyone taking the Wonderlic Personnel Test (50 questions, 12-minutes) or the Wonderlic Personnel Test-Quicktest (30 questions, 8 minutes).
Don't let the Wonderlic test stand between you and your dream job. Get this printable study guide and go into your interview with absolute confidence.