The following is an explanation for QUESTION 15 from our Free Wonderlic Practice Test. The strategy listed below is just one of many from our best-selling e-book, The Wonderlic Personnel Test Study Guide, which has helped thousands of people beat their Wonderlic test and land their dream job.
Stay tuned because we give a $5 coupon for our Study Guide at the bottom of this post!
Patterns on the Wonderlic
This is a similar to Question 5, so this explanation will be similar.
Pattern questions are one of those things that you simply get better at with time. The more you practice and the more pattern types you are exposed to, the more easily and quickly you can recognize them (COUGH - get 3 more Wonderlic Practice Tests here - COUGH). Excuse me...that was weird.
That being said, we do have a strategy that you can apply to help you efficiently recognize patterns in the case where you have difficulty distinguishing one.
How to Approach Patterns on the Wonderlic
Let's walk through Question 15 together.
15. A number in the series below has been omitted. What is the missing number?
1/288 __?__ 1/72 1/36 1/18 1/9
E. None of these
1. Look at the first two numbers in the series. If you do not recognize the pattern, just analyze the first two numbers in the series that occur without an omission. Don't get thrown off by these being fractions -since the denominators are the only thing changing, that is all I am going to focus on.
So, how do you get from 72 to 36?
There are two ways:
Subtract 36: 72 - 36 = 36
Divide by 2: 72 ÷ 2 = 36
2. Check by applying these operations to the next numbers in the pattern. We now see if subtracting 36 from 36 will get us to 18 OR if dividing 36 by 2 gets us to 18.
Subtract 36: 36 - 36 = 0 (this is not our pattern)
Divide by 2: 36 ÷ 2 = 18 (this one works!)
3. Apply operation to find missing number in the sequence. Now that we know that our pattern tells us to divide each denominator by 2 to get the following denominator, we simply need to apply this operation to the missing number in order to get our answer.
288 ÷ 2 = 144
1/144 is our answer
We go through all of the most common patterns in our best-selling Wonderlic Personnel Test Study Guide, but let's do one more together.
What is the next number in the series?
3 6 12 24 48 __?__
1. Look at the first two numbers in the series.
How do you get from 3 to 6? There are two ways:
Add 3: 3 + 3 = 6
Multiply by 2: 3 x 2 = 6
2. Check by applying these operations to the next numbers in the sequence.
We know that the pattern is likely one of these two operations. Now we check by applying these two operations to the second and third numbers in the sequence.
Add 3: 6 + 3 = 9
Multiply by 2: 6 x 2 = 12 (this is our pattern!)
3. Apply operation to find missing number in the sequence.
Now that we know that our pattern tells us to multiply each number by 2 to get the following number, we can apply this operation to the final number in order to get the missing number in the sequence.
48 x 2 = 96
How did you do? Was our strategy helpful? Let us know in the comments section!
Also, if you want to continue practicing patterns and also learn all of the different pattern types that we have seen on real Wonderlic tests, check out our Study Guide.
Get $5 Off Our Study Guide
If you thought this lesson was helpful, you will love our Wonderlic Personnel Test Study Guide, which is full of similar stress-easing tips and hundreds more practice questions.
This best-selling, printable e-book will help you pass your Wonderlic test, even if you have been out of school for years and your interview is tomorrow. We have seen this printable e-book study guide will improve your score by 10 points or more in less than 3 hours.
And...here is a sweetener: a coupon code for $5 off. Simply add the Study Guide to your cart and enter Take5onAlex in the discount field at checkout.